Blood cannot be manufactured in factories; it can only come from generous donors. To cater to this demand, BloodConnect was launched on 1st April, 2010 (as a project under NSS IIT Delhi) with an unparalleled objective of solving the problem of blood shortage in India.
According to WHO data, India faces a shortage of 3 million blood units. This shortage can easily be eliminated if only an additional 2% of India's youth donates blood. To make this possible, BloodConnect acts as a channel connecting voluntary blood donors with those who need blood. It is a youth-run organization and provides free help and specially works to target the poor and the needy.
Since its inception, the organization has grown a lot in terms of working for this cause. BloodConnect has developed a 360 degree solution to the problem of blood shortage. The model revolves around 4 focal points:
- Ensuring continuous, sufficient blood supply to blood banks through blood donation camps and weekly donations
- Improving awareness by organizing Street Plays, Info-Talks, Competitions
- Helping those in dire need by operating an emergency 24x7 helpline
- Establishing a network of youth across the country to lead the movement
What makes us different from others?
- We save lives: Each unit of blood collected can save 3-4 lives
- We help the poor and the needy: We organize camps mainly with govt. blood banks which cater to the poor
- We help for free- always: We provide helpline support for free for 24 hours daily, 365 days a year
- We provide a complete solution: We provide a 360 degree solution to the problem (camps, awareness, helpline)
- We innovate camps by making them theme-based, using social media and by dis-incentivizing donation, making it voluntary
To get details about our results, click here
To see details about our media coverage, click here
To learn more about our team in different regions, click here
To learn more about our activities, follow the links below:
- Inception in our model: 2011
- About the camps:
- We organize blood donation camps in various cities with various government blood banks.
- We believe that organizing camps is the fastest way to solving the problem of blood shortage.
- They are safe, and give you a very easy way out to donate blood (saves a trip to the hospital).
- Interested in knowing how to organize a camp? Click the button below
- Inception in our model: 2012
- About awareness activities:
- We organize various awareness activities: street plays, competitions, sessions, etc.
- All the activities aim to inspire people to come forward to donate blood.
- They have a long term impact in spreading the idea of blood donation and clearing myths.
- Interested in knowing how to organize an awareness activity? Click the button below
- Inception in our model: 2010
- About our helpline:
- With a sole aim of helping people in dire need of blood, we run a 24x7 blood helpline.
- It is a short term solution we provide, till the time we are unable to achieve zero shortage.
- It is run by college students who not only handle the request, but also build the donor database.
- Someone needs blood and is not able to arrange a donor? Click the button below to raise a request